Photographer: Willard Sharp of Madrid, IA
The Adopt-A-Highway program is essential to keep Iowa beautiful for travelers and tourists on our Iowa roadways.
Adopt-A-Highway (AAH) is an innovative program developed by the Iowa Department of Transportation to increase public awareness of environmental needs along Iowa highways by making sections of roadsides available for “adoption.” This gives the adopting individuals or groups opportunities to improve the appearance of our roadsides throughout the state.
Adopt-A-Highway is a nationwide program that successfully provides sponsorship to roadways across the United States to keep roadways clean and welcoming to those who travel across them. Here’s why your company, organization, non-profit or club might want to consider adopting any of Iowa’s highways:
- 49 out of 50 states have some type of Sponsor-A-Highway or Adopt-A-Highway program
- Facing budget cuts and safety issues, states are looking for alternative ways to keep roadways safe
- There is a real need for litter-free highways for safety, environmental and aesthetic reasons
- It can provide a viable green initiative to add to your marketing campaign
- Adopt-a-Highway signage creates and strengthens your brand awareness to mobile consumers
Let’s work to Keep Iowa Beautiful for our residents and visitors who use our Iowa highways!
How You Can Adopt-A-Highway
Discover areas along Iowa’s roadways that are still available for adoption.
The Iowa Department of Transportation Adopt-A-Highway program offers many opportunities for individuals, families, organizations, or groups to adopt areas.