Robert D. Ray Award
This award is given annually to a town or city for enhancing the beauty, cleanliness and attractiveness of the community.
Nominations are accepted from organizations, community officials and/or volunteers by the end of January every year – with the award submitted in March. To submit your nomination, please send a letter detailing:
- Which town or city is being nominated
- Why you are nominating this community
- Detail in what ways this nominated community contributes to enhancing the beauty, cleanliness and attractiveness of our state. (Please provide specific examples of projects or initiatives that were deployed and the impact(s) of those efforts)
- All contact information of the nominated community (along with city officials and city managers)
- Your full contact information and affiliation with the nominated community
2020 Recipient: Community of Maquoketa
Community of Maquoketa is receiving the Keep Iowa Beautiful Robert D. Ray Award of Excellence for the revitalization efforts through the Maquoketa CAN campaign.
2019 Robert D. Ray Community Award for Excellence
The Keep Iowa Beautiful Board of Directors selected the Community of Percival to receive this year’s award. Following the devastation of a 500-year flood, the local citizens created a vision, and with hard work and dedication developed grant writing and fundraising skills to complete dozens of projects with the help of many volunteers making this community of 87 a stronger and better place to live and work. In addition, they are the first unincorporated community to receive this honor. The award was presented on March 28, 2019.
2018 Robert D. Ray Community Award for Excellence
The 2018 award was presented to The City of Varina on March 20, 2018, at the Iowa State Capitol by Governor Kim Reynolds. Varina is a Keep Iowa Beautiful Hometown Pride community that embodies a visionary spirit.
2017 Robert D. Ray Community Award for Excellence
2016 Robert D. Ray Community Award for Excellence
2016 Recipient: The City of Lake City
Lake City is recognized for their enhancement efforts and beautification programs that make the community a more attractive place to live and work.